Sunday, January 31, 2010

Update from Derek

I wanted to comment on my journey with cancer (liposarcoma), and my current treatment through Camelot Cancer Care in Tulsa, Ok. For those of you new to this blog, I was diagnosed with Myxoid Liposarcoma with a tumor in my left posterior thigh in October of 2008. Sarcomas are 1% of adult cancers and liposarcomas are 1% of that. A local surgeon tried to take all of the tumor out, but...it came back, of course. Needless to say, I started out my journey with cancer with a lot of fear and confusion. I went to CTCA in Tulsa, OK only to be told this by a doctor: "I don't see these types of cancer, this is rare, I don't know how to treat you, I am concerned for your life, I don't know what the next step is, you need to be at either Sloan-Kettering or MD Anderson!" At least he was honest. So, I went to Houston. MD Anderson was like a cancer holocaust. I felt like a number, not a person. I have never seen so many pale, scarred, hairless, and scared people in my life. My wife kept bursting into tears. I took their scans, waited patiently for the results and their coveted medical opinion, and decided never to return. I respect most doctors, but this time, I felt they did not have the answer for me. I decided, much to my wife (at first) and family's dismay, to go alternative to "cure" my condition.

After countless hours of research, I realized that I had a "terrain" problem. I had to make my body a hostile environment to cancer. I have embraced many alternative protocols, but more specifically the Bill Henderson Protocol and those on cancertutor.com . I also embrace and agree with Todd Bolinger's book, "Cancer: Step Outside the Box". Through these, (along with many other protocols, faith in God, and trust in my body's ability) I overcame my fear of cancer. It has now been over a year since my diagnosis. I recently was urged by family to consider getting treatment at a clinic so as to not get backed into a corner with the cancer. My mom said, "If I were to sell stock and pay for it...would you go somewhere to get help?" I told her there was only one place that I would consider in the states, and all of my research pointed to Camelot Cancer Care in Tulsa, Ok. The science behind the DMSO made sense to me. I also was also interested in the work of Dr. Coley and the induced fever therapy for cancer, specifically Sarcomas, as mentioned in the Ralph Moss reports.

Camelot Cancer Care

I started treatments at Camelot with the DMSO and other ingredients on Nov 2-21, 2009. I had a recent PET scan on the 23rd and the results showed a large 8 cm tumor in my thigh, with outer 8.8 SUV value,...BUT, with a necrotic center!! The center of the tumor is dying...clinic director Maureen said, "We have it on the run!, We can't stop now, we can beat this!" I also have NO distal metastatic disease!! I am encouraged by the results.I am continuing with take- home treatments. The people at CAMELOT are phenomenal. They are passionate about what they do. Queen Maureen- she is feisty and not afraid to call it like it is. She comes across awkward at first, but then, you see the Einstein-like genius emerge when she starts talking cancer! When I think of Maureen, I think of Emily Dickinson's poem, "Much Madness is Divinest Sense" Within 5 minutes of being there, I knew I was in the right place. They talked my language. Lady Belinda, the vascular nurse (she loves what she does,she said I had a "beautiful" vein) I have never met anyone more skilled, more passionate, more caring or determined person to have at my side. Sir Noel -a true nobleman, gentleman, and friend. It was Noel that gave me analogies and pep-talks, that encouraged me to stand strong. Just ask for his speech on the primary immune system and the Spartans!! There was also John, the clinic manager/guitar prodigy, and... Meticulous Michael, the IV tech. Oh, and not to forget, Noel's dog...the Camelot mascot...CHAMP the doberman! I count myself blessed to have met these individuals. They continue, as I write, to monitor my progress, coach, and encourage me in my fight against this. I feel like the captain in the Apollo 13 movie, I am out there in space with dangerous odds, but I am not alone...and I know that even if all I have on board is duct tape and few canisters...Maureen,Belinda, Noel, John, and Micheal will not stop until they see me back home safely!

Update: I have a few more iv bags to finish and then I will be scheduled for another PET scan soon in February. I feel great. Still believing that the tumor is dying or necrotic and will eventually dissolve or may be able to be removed safely with surgery. Please continue to pray for me. I covet your intercessions on my behalf. My utmost thanks to those who have given to us financially. Your kindness is overwhelming.
Derek

3 comments:

  1. Derek~ I was NEVER 'dismayed' about your decision to go alternative...I was PRAYERFULLY CONSIDERING all that was going on;) ...that's all:) I am happy to now say, I agree whole heartedly with what you are doing...I have complete peace about where we are in this journey. I trust you with all my heart. I know that you have spent endless hours in research, PRAYERFULLY CONSIDERING all that you were learning. I know that you were/are making decisions as a father and a husband. I am so proud of you. I am blessed to be your wife. I am proud of what God is doing in and through you, how you lead our family. I love what this has done for our marriage, the team that we have become. Our children will be better people for having gone through this, & witnessing their Dad's living example. I could go on and on...there simply isn't enough room. I love you more than I have words to convey. ~Misty

    ReplyDelete
  2. LIfe is so beautiful and so precious. And hearing your story reminds me to be grateful for the gift of God here on earth. Praise God!
    -Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Derek and Misty,
    On 8th of January this year my brother was diagnosed Hodgkin lymfoma. On the day of his 35th birthday! I don't need to tell you anything about what we went through that day and the weeks after,... you know all about that. Horror! Since the fist day my brother Jeroen heard about the diagnose he was extremely afraid and had so much capacitance for the regular chemo therapy; he wanted the alternative way! Of course he was (and we were) so afraid, doubtful, desperate and no knowing what to do......
    The reason I write this message for you is to thank you! Thanks to your weblog, your story, your faith and trust we had the courage also to choose for the Camelot Clinic. At this moment I'm at home in the Netherlands and my brother is in the U.S in Camelot assisted by my mother. Today he had his 3rd DMSO treatment.
    They of course also met the wonderful dedicated people like Noel, Maureen and the others. They completely agree with you, they are indescribable! Derek, I really want to let you know that we are SO grateful to you for sharing your story. We wish you all the best! Even here in the Netherlands we pray for you! We will for sure follow your process. (I just made a weblog for my brother http://www.camelot-jeroen.blogspot.com/)
    With love and hug. Nathalie de Vos

    ReplyDelete